Work Experience in Publishing
This vacancy list for work experience in publishing is run by the Oxford International Centre for Publishing Studies
The Centre also runs a listing of jobs in publishing
Taylor & Francis Group
Location: Milton Park, Oxfordshire.
Deadline for application: 31 Aug 2015
Taylor & Francis Group, a leading international academic publisher, has an excellent opportunity for a temporary Editorial Assistant to join the Behavioural Sciences and Social Care Journals Editorial team. This role is of a temporary nature until the end of the year.
The Temporary Editorial Assistant will support the management of a list of journals in the Behavioural Sciences and Social Care fields, assisting the Managing Editors and the Publisher in the administration and service of key publishing relationships. This role offers an opportunity to experience all aspects of academic journal publishing, working with external editors and authors, as well as other Taylor & Francis departments including sales, marketing and production.
Responsibilities are varied and include:
- Undertaking and co-ordinating administrative processes, including the raising of payments and generation of invoices, handling correspondence with internal departments, and supporting effective membership management
- Communicating with external contacts to resolve publishing and administrative queries, including with authors, editors and society contacts as directed by the managing editor/publisher
- Assisting with arranging internal and external meetings, attending where appropriate with the managing editor/publisher
- Keeping accurate records, recording minutes and collating and presenting key information for the team, including financial and budget data
- Updating and using internal systems and databases to effectively generate accurate and relevant reports and analysis
- Undertaking research assignments at the direction of the managing editors and publisher, and reporting findings in a clear, accurate and timely manner
Princeton University Press
Deadline for application: 4 September 2015
The UK office of Princeton University Press is based in Woodstock, Oxford. We are a small, friendly editorial and publicity office looking for someone to start as soon as possible on a full-time or part-time basis
Most of the work will be publicity-based, but the internship will involve some marketing, editorial and rights work. Responsibilities will include:
- Preparation of marketing flyers
- Responding to review copy requests
- Organising the post and collection/ delivery of books by courier
- Updating and maintaining the publicity database
- Attending publicity and editorial meetings
- Scanning and logging reviews
- Sending out books and press releases
- Internet research
- Attending local author events and other events, if appropriate
- Binding manuscripts, on occasion
- Other projects, such as preparing material for the Bookseller Buyer’s Guide, if required
- Helping with catalogue mailing and responding to review copy requests which result
- Working with the Editorial Assistant and International Rights Manager, as required
Previous interns have left Princeton to enter permanent employment at other Oxfordshire and London-based publishing houses, such as Oxford University Press and Taylor & Francis.
An allowance for travel and subsistence will be given.
How to apply:
For more details or to apply please e-mail your CV and cover letter to Lucy Zhou at email@example.com
Posted on 18 Aug 2015 around 8am • Filed Under Work Experience in Publishing •
A graduate or postgraduate student with an interest in academic publishing is sought for a four-week work experience placement (10th September - 9th October 2015) at our central Oxford office. The role will mainly focus on administrative assistance with publicity, marketing and sales, but the successful applicant will have good opportunities to learn about production and editorial workflows in our small but thriving team. Local candidates are preferred. Lunch and local travel expenses will be paid.
Please email your CV and covering letter to Ben Goodwin, firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “September Work Experience”.
Posted on 03 Aug 2015 around 4pm • Filed Under Work Experience in Publishing •
Page 1 of 1 pages