Jobs / Work Experience / Placements offered
From Poverty to Power Promotion and Marketing Co-ordinator Intern
Deadline for application: 10 September 2012
From Poverty to Power is a major publication from Oxfam, first published in 2008. The 2nd Edition will be published in October 2012 with Practical Action Publishing, and needs support on the following promotional and marketing activity: event organisation (lectures/seminars at academic institutions); launch events at conferences; social media support for book and author; research and delivery of online promotion programme; research and delivery of programme of online support for the book with content from Oxfam’s iLibrary and blogs.
PPCT in Oxford Office with some possible UK travel and event attendance.
Frequency: 2/3 days per week for 6 months.
Further Information ...
The role will work directly with staff in PPCT Digital Team and Promotion/Marketing Team, and with the Author, and with other individuals and teams across Oxfam GB and other affiliates, and in Oxfam International. The role will mainly involve supporting existing plans but will have some opportunity for creative input.
- Support launch event (4 October) at Blackwell in Oxford, and launch reception at Development Studies Association Conference (3 November), and other identified launch speaking events for the author (Duncan Green) and activities around Oxfam's 70th Anniversary (October)
- Research, arrange and manage a programme of seminars and speaking events for the author, Duncan Green, at academic and research institutions and ngos in the UK and English-language outlets in Europe (Netherlands and Germany)
- Accompany author to some events, and secure multimedia for use on the website/social media and prepare print promo materials as required
- Support the author in digital marketing activities, planning for blogs and twitter, and presentation materials, and research and secure online links for the book and its content
- Working with the author and PPCT staff, research and prepare a programme of online supporting materials for the book - finding, structuring and maintaining a collection of research and policy papers, blog posts and other material from all Oxfam affiliates to support the book
- Support the author in logistics and materials preparation and delivery, and digital support, in three overseas trips to Philippines/Thailand (Sept 2012), India (Oct 2012), South Africa (Feb 2013) for launch events, lectures etc
- Arrange a series of lunchtime events/seminars in Oxfam House around content of the book, working closely with the author
- Work with PPCT digital team and other staff on the FP2P website and facebook page, researching content and updating the sites
Skills and competencies:
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent computer skills. Experience of using web content management systems and image editing in Photoshop or similar would be an advantage
- Research and writing skills, and creative packaging of existing materials
- Experience of event organisation and management
- Good organisational/project management skills
- The post will be working closely with the author, Duncan Green, who will be a part of the interview process
- Proven interest in development and international relations issues and in communicating them to others
What this role can offer the volunteer:
- Widespread experience in development communications, especially in an online environment
- Working with Duncan Green, a recognised leader in development thinking and blogging
- A very visible result of the project in the FP2P online materials, support collection, social media delivery, etc.
- Experience in both academic and ngo sectors focussed on delivery of new ideas and approaches
- Opportunity to work across the Oxfam confederation (FP2P is an Oxfam International project)
Tel: +44 (0)1865 472188
Please complete Internship Application Form and return it to the email address above; do include your CV and a supporting cover letter too.