Study Publishing at Oxford Brookes University
The Oxford International Centre for Publishing is one of the leading institutes for publishing education in the world, with a reputation for innovation and excellence in teaching and research
Publishing at Oxford Brookes is ranked consistently high in the university league tables.
Publishing is one of today’s most exciting creative industries. Our staff all have considerable experience of the publishing industry, working in trade, educational and academic publishing. Publishing is a global business and we maintain an extensive network of contacts in the international publishing industry, including our alumni who are working in management positions throughout the world.
Our graduates have an excellent employment record, and all students have the opportunity to do work experience during their course.
The Centre offers a range of postgraduate and undergraduate awards in book, magazine and digital publishing, and carries out academic research, professional development programmes and consultancy.
Our students come from all over the world to enjoy excellent teaching and learning in one of the largest departments in Europe. It is a lively and stimulating environment, and we host a range of special events and welcome many visitors including speakers from throughout the publishing industry.
- Our degree programmes have an international reputation
- Our faculty have a strong professional background
- Our graduates have an excellent employment record
- Unrivalled international links with both industry and our partner universities
Excellence in research
- Staff have published widely on the present industry, its past and future
- Oxford Brookes is the permanent home of the Booker Prize Archive and hosts a number of specialist publishing collections
Excellence in consultancy
- Our faculty provide consultancy to the international publishing industry
- Our training courses offer continuing professional development to those already working in the industry
Excellent relationships with industry
- The Centre is supported by an industry advisory board - companies represented include major publishers such as Bloomsbury, Faber & Faber, HarperCollins, Hodder, and Random House
- Industry scholarships from publishers, such as Macmillan and Osprey, and other organizations, such as the Stationers' Foundation; also prizes from companies including Pearson and Taylor & Francis
- We have a close working relationship with publishing organizations such as the Independent Publishers Guild and the Publishers Association. Regular events of OPuS (Oxford Publishing Society) and the Society of Young Publishers are held at Oxford Brookes
- The Centre runs web listings of work experience opportunities and jobs in publishing
- Oxford is a global centre of publishing - local companies include Elsevier, Oxford University Press, Pearson Education, Taylor & Francis, and Wiley.
- A large number of independent publishing organizations are based in Oxford, including the African Books Collective, Berg Publishing, How to Books, Infinite Ideas, Osprey Publishing, Oxfam Publishing, and the Voltaire Foundation.
Download our latest brochure here