Publishing programmes awarded Screenskills tick
Study Publishing at Oxford Brookes University
The Oxford International Centre for Publishing is one of the leading institutes for media education in the world, with a reputation for innovation and excellence in teaching and research.
The Centre is ranked at number 1 in the 2020 Guardian University Guide in the category Journalism, Publishing and PR
The UK’s creative industries are growing at almost twice the rate of the wider economy. Our staff all have considerable experience of the media industries, working in book, magazine and digital publishing. Publishing is a global business and we maintain an extensive network of contacts in the international industry, including our alumni who are working in management positions throughout the world.
Our graduates have an excellent employment record, and all students have the opportunity to do work experience during their course.
The Centre offers a range of postgraduate and undergraduate awards in journalism and publishing, and carries out academic research, professional development programmes and consultancy.
Our students come from all over the world to enjoy excellent teaching and learning in one of the largest departments in Europe. It is a lively and stimulating environment, and we host a range of special events and welcome many visitors including industry speakers.
- Our degree programmes have an international reputation
- Our faculty have a strong professional background in the media
- Our graduates have an excellent employment record
- Unrivalled international links with both industry and our partner universities
Excellence in research
- Staff have published widely on media today, its past and future
- Oxford Brookes is the permanent home of the Booker Prize Archive and hosts a number of specialist collections in the Library
Excellence in consultancy
- Our faculty provide consultancy to the international industry
- Our training courses offer continuing professional development to those already working in the industry
Excellent relationships with industry
- The Centre is supported by an industry advisory board - companies represented include major publishers such as Bloomsbury, Faber & Faber, HarperCollins, Hodder, and Random House
- Industry scholarships: for example from Princeton University Press and the London Book Fair, and other organizations, such as the Stationers' Foundation; also prizes from companies including Pearson and Taylor & Francis
- We have a close working relationship with industry organizations such as the Independent Publishers Guild and the Publishers Association. Regular events of OPuS (Oxford Publishing Society) and the Society of Young Publishers are held at Oxford Brookes
- The Centre runs web listings of work experience opportunities and jobs
- Oxford is a global centre of publishing - local companies include Elsevier, Oxford University Press, Pearson Education, Taylor & Francis, and Wiley.
- A large number of independent companies are based in Oxford, including the African Books Collective, Berg Publishing, David Fickling, Infinite Ideas, Osprey Publishing, Peter Lang, and the Voltaire Foundation.
Download our latest brochure here