Deadline for application: Monday January 28, 2019
Vertebrate Publishing is an award-winning independent publisher. We publish books to inspire adventure, and it’s our rule that we only publish books that we want to read or use ourselves. As we begin 2019, we have an opportunity for a highly skilled and motivated candidate to join our team in Sheffield.
The production editor will assist the publishing manager and studio team in the preparation and production of print and digital titles. They will also be the driving force behind our audiobook, ebook and print-on-demand programme.
Day-to-day tasks for this production-focused role include:
- author, book contributor and freelancer liaison
- editing and proofreading of manuscripts
- preparation of manuscripts for layout
- management of digital book production programme
- liaison with digital product distributors, contributors and subcontractors
- sales and marketing support.
We are looking for an applicant with demonstrable experience of working in a publishing environment, who is motivated to develop their career and help us grow our business. We are specifically looking for someone who has:
- a meticulous – obsessive – attention to detail
- excellent English language skills, written and verbal, and a hunger to learn
- excellent organisational and administrative skills
- at least one year’s experience in a publishing environment
- experience of managing projects from inception to completion
- an ability to work on their own initiative
- copyediting and proofreading experience
- knowledge and experience of audiobook, ebook and print-on-demand book production, or the willingness to learn
- experience of working with photography and images for publication
- some marketing and social media experience
- a positive, friendly and professional attitude.
Driven, results-focused individuals will find this job very rewarding. An interest in the areas in which we publish is desirable, but not essential.
This is a full-time position, based in our Sheffield office; some homeworking is possible.
Salary: competitive, depending on experience.
To apply, please email your CV (two pages max.) and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining why you think you are the right candidate for this job.
Shortlisted candidates will first be asked to undertake a short writing/editing task. Interviews will follow in early February after this selection process.
Closing date for applications: 9 a.m., Monday 28 January 2019.