Another successful International Publishing Summer School
The 2015 International Publishing Summer School finished in the glorious grounds of Headington Hill Hall on a sunny July day. Delegates came from around the world - China, India, Nigeria, Korea, France, Australia, and the USA - for two packed weeks that included lectures and seminars from staff at the Oxford International Centre for Publishing Studies, and invited speakers from industry. Speakers included:
- Richard Mollett, CEO of the Publishers Association
- Philip Jones, Editor of The Bookseller
- Emma Barnes, Managing Director of Snowbooks and Bibliocloud
- Felicity Bryan, Chair of the Felicity Bryan Literary Agency
- and the managing directors of various publishing companies including Jonathan Glasspool from Bloomsbury Academic and Professional, Sinead Moloney of Hart Publishing, and Juliet Mabey of Oneworld Publications.
We did a tour of The Bodleian Library and enjoyed a literary tour around Oxford. There were visits to Lightning Source in Milton Keynes, and a fascinating morning was spent at Wiley publishers discussing journals publishing. The conference dinner was at Quod Restaurant in Oxford, with a very interesting and amusing after-dinner talk by Michael Bhaskar, who has just launched the new digital publishing company Canelo.
Feedback from the delegates was very enthusiastic:
'Very engaging, comprehensive course which has given me a wider view of the publishing world...the lecturers were excellent' - delegate from India
'Excellent course...good structure and organization...excellent lecturers, they are experience, humerous and wonderful!' - delegate from China
'Thank you..I had a very good time and it equipped me with brand new ideas'. delegate from Korea