MA and Master’s Publishing programmes
Study in Oxford on the most prestigious and internationally recognized MA Publishing courses in the publishing industry
MA Publishing Media
The course gives a solid knowledge of publishing processes and their management, and provides scope to develop specialist skills required for career development.
MA Digital Publishing
This course provides an opportunity for practical investigation of the strategies to publish digital media using industry adopted technologies such as eBooks, websites and apps.
The part-time, distance learning course runs over 32 months and offers students the opportunity to benefit from the Centre’s excellent teaching alongside career and family commitments.
Looking for the best Publishing MA?
Our industry-led programmes provide you with the skills, knowledge and networks to kickstart your career in publishing, or to improve your current position.
- Ranked number 1 in the 2020 Guardian University Guide, in the category Journalism, Publishing and Public Relations
- Unrivalled industry links and networking - 100 per cent graduate employability*
- Excellent results for student satisfaction - 100 per cent score in the 2019 Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey
- Taught by experts who have written many of the key texts on publishing
- Visiting speakers who are leading industry specialists
- Unrivalled access to work experience in Oxford, London and elsewhere
- Supported by an Advisory Board of senior industry professionals
- Visits to London, Frankfurt, Beijing and Bologna book fairs**
- Oxford is a global industry centre
- International internships
- Both university and industry scholarships - in total 8 were awarded for students in 2020
- For entry in 2021 university scholarships for international and EU students
- Web board where employers advertise jobs
- Specialist careers advice including networking with over 50 professionals at our Working in Publishing Day
* The score in 2016, 2017 and 2018 - amongst those students surveyed 6 months after their graduation
** Dependent on relevant circumstances around health and travel
Excellent programmes and teaching
You can choose from a variety of awards to suit your needs and career aspirations.
The MA in Publishing Media from Oxford Brookes University is respected throughout the world. The course gives a solid knowledge of publishing processes and their management, and provides scope to develop specialist skills required for career development.
- In the first semester there are three core modules in editorial, marketing and consumer insight, and production and design
- In the second semester choose three from a fantastic range of specialist modules: Fiction and Non-Fiction, Children's Publishing, The Craft of Storytelling, Brand Publishing, International Rights Management, Digital Publishing Strategy, Multi-Platform Publishing, Academic and Professional Publishing, Data-Driven Marketing for Publishing, and the History and Culture of Publishing
- Dissertation or Major Project
The MA in Digital Publishing provides a focused opportunity to examine forms of digital publishing. The programme takes you from strategy to practical skills in ebooks, websites and apps.
You can see further details of all the campus based modules for these two postgraduate programmes.
The MA in Publishing, the only programme of its kind in Europe, is taught to students at distance and does not involve being resident on campus in Oxford. The part-time, interactive course runs over 32 months and offers students the opportunity to benefit from the Centre’s excellent teaching alongside career and family commitments.
- Excellent results for student satisfaction - 100 per cent score in the 2020 Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey
Excellence in research
- Opportunity to do either a dissertation or major project
- Students have access to unique research resources: specialist publishing collections such as the André Deutsch Collection, the African Publishing Collection and the Bodleian Library
- Oxford Brookes is the permanent home of the Booker Prize Archive
- Our staff have published widely on the present industry as well as the history of publishing
- Publishing seminars are held on a regular basis - recent speakers include James Daunt of Waterstones and Eric Huang of Made in Me
- Industry research and consultancy are carried out by the department
Excellent links with industry
- Opportunity to visit international book fairs including Beijing, Bologna, Frankfurt, and London. Our students assist with the organization of the London Book Fair - in 2021 we again have our own stand
- An industry advisory board with representatives from major publishers such as Bloomsbury, Faber, HarperCollins, Hodder and Penguin Random House
- Links with publishing organizations such as the Independent Publishers Guild, OPuS (Oxford Publishing Society) and the Society of Young Publishers (SYP) – regular events are held at Oxford Brookes including SYP conferences
- Industry scholarships - for 2021 entry there are awards from the London Book Fair, Princeton University Press, Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press, and the Stationers' Foundation
- Prizes for the best student work, sponsored by Palgrave Macmillan and Pearson Education
- An extensive network of alumni throughout the world
- The city of Oxford has something for everyone. A beautiful, historic city, it has the most published authors per square mile of any city in the world. Famous writers who have lived here include J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Philip Pullman, Colin Dexter and Mark Haddon. The Oxford Literary Festival takes place each year and students help out with the organization; we also run speaker events - past events have featured industry pioneeers such as Tim Waterstone (Waterstones) and Nigel Newton (Bloomsbury)
- Oxford is a vibrant, student-friendly place with lots to offer, including a wide range of sporting venues, shops, pubs, cafes, clubs, cinemas, theatres and restaurants
- With excellent transport links, it is ideally situated for exploring the rest of Britain and Europe. London is easily accessible by both coach and train