Masters Courses in Publishing at Postgraduate Level
Our industry-led publishing programmes provide you with the skills, knowledge and networks to kickstart your career in publishing, or to improve your current position.
MA Publishing Media »
The course gives a solid knowledge of publishing processes and their management, and provides scope to develop specialist skills required for career development.
MA Digital Publishing »
This course provides an opportunity for practical investigation of the strategies to publish digital media using industry adopted technologies such as eBooks, websites and apps.
MA Publishing Studies »
The part-time, distance learning course runs over two years and offers students the opportunity to benefit from the Centre’s excellent teaching alongside career and family commitments.
Looking for the best Publishing MA?
Study in Oxford on the most prestigious and internationally recognized degree courses in the publishing industry
- Unrivalled industry links and networking - 100% graduate employability in 2015*
- Publishing at Oxford Brookes is rated number 3 in the 2018 Guardian University Guide, in the category Journalism, Publishing and Public Relations - the top-rated publishing programme
- Excellent results for student satisfaction - 93 per cent score in the 2016 Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey
- The programmes have been awarded the Creative Skillset tick by experts working in the creative industries
- Taught by staff who have written many of the key texts on publishing
- Extensive list of visiting speakers and associate lecturers who are leading industry specialists
- Unrivalled access to work experience in Oxford, London and elsewhere
- Supported by an Advisory Board comprising some of the most senior publishers in the UK
- Visits to London, Frankfurt and Bologna book fairs
- Oxford is a global centre for the publishing industry
- International internships
- A range of scholarships are available
- Visit our web board where employers advertise jobs and work experience
- Specialist careers advice including our annual Working in Publishing Day
* amongst those students surveyed 6 months after their graduation in 2014
Excellent programmes and teaching
- A large faculty with a variety of research interests and extensive industry expertise
- Staff have published a number of the key texts on the publishing industry
- The teaching regularly has high scores in the National Student Survey
- Wide coverage of publishing, from mass market books to magazines, from trade to scholarly and educational
- All programmes are fully up to date with digital developments in the industry
- Visiting speakers from industry regularly contribute to the programmes - you can listen to our podcast series
You can choose from a variety of awards to suit your needs and career aspirations.
The MA in Publishing Media from Oxford Brookes University is respected throughout the world. The course gives a solid knowledge of publishing processes and their management, and provides scope to develop specialist skills required for career development.
- In the first semester there are core modules in editorial, marketing, and production and design
- In the second semester choose from 10 specialist modules – including Fiction and Non-Fiction, Children's Publishing, Magazine Publishing, Rights Management, Digital Publishing Strategy, Multi-Platform Publishing, Academic and Professional Publishing, and the History and Culture of Publishing
The MA in Digital Publishing provides a focused opportunity to examine forms of digital publishing with particular reference to standards of semantic mark-up and accessibility. It provides an opportunity for practical investigation of the strategies to publish digital media using industry adopted technologies such as eBooks, websites and apps.
You can see further details of all the campus based modules for these two postgraduate programmes.
The MA in Publishing Studies is the only programme of its kind in Europe, and is taught to students at a distance and does not involve being resident on campus in Oxford. The part-time, interactive course runs over two years and offers students the opportunity to benefit from the Centre’s excellent teaching alongside career and family commitments.
Excellence in research
- Opportunity to do either a dissertation or major project
- Students have access to unique research resources: specialist publishing collections such as the André Deutsch Collection, the African Publishing Collection and the Bodleian Library
- Oxford Brookes is the permanent home of the Booker Prize Archive
- Our staff have published widely on the present industry as well as the history of publishing
- Publishing seminars are held on a regular basis - recent speakers include James Daunt of Waterstones and Eric Huang of Made in Me
- Industry research and consultancy are carried out by the department
Excellent links with industry
- Opportunity to visit international book fairs including Frankfurt, London and Bologna. Our students assist with the organization of the London Book Fair - in 2018 we again have our own stand
- An industry advisory board with representatives from major publishers such as Bloomsbury, Faber, HarperCollins, Hodder and Random House
- Links with publishing organizations such as the Independent Publishers Guild, OPuS (Oxford Publishing Society) and the Society of Young Publishers (SYP) – regular events are held at Oxford Brookes including the SYP conferences in 2017 and 2015
- Industry scholarships - including from Wiley, London Book Fair and the Stationers' Foundation
- Prizes for the best student work, sponsored by Lightning Source, Palgrave Macmillan, Pearson Education, Taylor & Francis, and Touch Press
- An extensive network of alumni throughout the world
- The city of Oxford has something for everyone. A beautiful, historic city, it has the most published authors per square mile of any city in the UK. Famous writers who have lived here include J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Philip Pullman, Colin Dexter and Mark Haddon. The Oxford Literary Festival takes place each Spring and students help out with the organization; we also run speaker events - in 2014 featuring industry pioneeers such as Tim Waterstone (Waterstones) and Nigel Newton (Bloomsbury)
- Oxford is a vibrant, student-friendly place with lots to offer, including a wide range of sporting venues, shops, pubs, cafes, clubs, cinemas, theatres and restaurants
- With excellent transport links, it is ideally situated for exploring the rest of Britain and Europe. London is easily accessible by both coach and train