BA Publishing Media
Choose the best BA publishing
Publishing at Oxford Brookes is rated number 3 in the 2018 Guardian University Guide, in the category Journalism, Publishing and Public Relations - the top-rated publishing programme
BA Publishing Media »
Because our publishing department has been established for such a long time and has so much experience and staff depth, a Brookes publishing degree is a valuable ‘brand’ known throughout all sectors of the industry.
Your Questions Answered »
OICPS is known both nationally and internationally – it is a very strong ‘brand’. This means that if you seek a position in publishing or another similar media role your potential employer knows what they are getting, and this usually offers a significant advantage.
Why not come and see us? »
Throughout the year we run various open days and provide other visiting opportunities, which are advertised on the university website. Or ask for details.
Brookes publishing – the leader
There has never been a better time to study publishing, and there are more reasons than ever to study publishing at Oxford Brookes. Our students come from all over the world to enjoy excellent, proven teaching and learning in one of the largest departments of its kind in the world. Come and join us, and enjoy:
- a wide range of highly qualified staff
- a lively and exciting department
- excellent employment prospects on our industry-led degree
- excellent scores for student satisfaction - 100 per cent score in the 2017 National Student Survey
- the programme has been awarded the Creative Skillset tick
- the opportunity to meet industry professionals and publishing celebrities
- as undergraduates, the daily experience of working alongside one of the largest and most internationally diverse communities of publishing postgraduates to be found anywhere in the world
- the excitement of the world of publishing as you explore the intriguing and creative tension between commerce and culture.
- a dedicated IT suite with the very latest publishing software - and a range of resources in the library
Shape your own degree
Study publishing on its own, or combine it with another subject of your choice – either in equal measure or in a ‘major–minor’ combination. As part of a combined honours degree, publishing can be combined with a variety of subjects: English, English Language, and Communications, Media and Culture are popular combinations; and History of Art, Music and Film Studies can make excellent partners. You can also study part time to suit your circumstances and resources.
- In your first year, you meet publishing in all its diversity, from magazines to books, from paper to digital, from culture to commerce.
- Most students study our popular introductory magazine publishing module, as well as our module on the industry standard software.
- In your second year, you will explore publishing in both breadth and depth through core modules covering editorial, marketing, business, and digital workflow
- In your third year you can pursue your favourite pathways, whether in magazines, digital media, or the history and culture of publishing, and to engage in your own independent research.
- Work individually and in teams on realistic projects that are assessed by ‘real-life’ criteria.
- Enhance your skills in group work, IT, giving presentations, report writing.
- There are opportunities to study abroad, in Europe, North America or Australia, by going on exchange for a semester.
Work and the world
Because our publishing department has been established for such a long time and has so much experience and staff depth, a Brookes publishing degree is a valuable ‘brand’ known throughout all sectors of the industry. During the course you can link into this wider publishing world in many ways:
- Visit the department's own vacancy list of jobs in publishing
- Take advantage of the numerous opportunities for work experience
- Link in to our network of alumni, who are working in publishing jobs all over the world
- Specialist careers advice, including our Working in Publishing day, when you can meet a variety of industry professionals
- Visit trade events in the UK and beyond
- Learn from visiting speakers from all sectors of publishing
- Benefit from the support and monitoring activities of the department’s long-standing industry advisory board and its strong relevance to all areas of the publishing course
Of course, you don’t have to use your publishing degree to get a publishing job – for example, you may want to work in other media or go on to postgraduate study. But either way, Brookes publishing graduates have an excellent employment record.
Oxford – centre of media and learning
Oxford is a beautiful, historic city, justifiably famous as a centre for learning, for its writers, and as one of the most important media centres in Europe, home to many global publishing companies.
Oxford is a vibrant, student-friendly place with so much to offer, including a wide range of sporting venues, shops, pubs, cafes, clubs, cinemas, theatres and restaurants
With its excellent transport links the city is ideally situated for exploring the rest of Britain and Europe.